With the weather improving in the Northern Hemisphere, perhaps your thoughts are turning to riding outdoors once again. Maybe you’d like to take some of those workouts you’ve been crushing on the trainer out onto the road. Workouts from Zwift and other training platforms can be exported in ZWO format, or you can browse a selection of workouts in ZWO format online using this handy website.
NOTE: If you’ve not performed interval workouts outside before, it’s not always easy! You’ll also spend far too long staring at the power data on your Garmin. Pick a safe, traffic free route. Look up! As always obey traffic laws and ride safe. You know what kills gains more than missing an interval target? Colliding with the back of a bus…
With that said, lets continue. How do you get those ZWO files to work on your Garmin?
Garmin doesn’t currently support the ZWO workout format, so before you can use them on your Edge, you’ll need to convert them into a FIT file. I’ve put together this handy guide on converting and uploading your workouts so you can perform them out on the road.
1) Download your ZWO file. Depending on the training platform you use, there may be an option to export the workout or email it to yourself. The site ZWOFactory also has a library of workouts to choose from (including all the Zwift workouts) plus a very user-friendly workout builder.
2) Convert the ZWO file into a FIT file. This is the key step! Garmin devices will only accept workout files in this FIT file format. You can convert using this Workout Converter tool.
- Tap on Choose File and select your ZWO workout
- Select FIT from the “Convert to” dropdown box
- Set your FTP in the box below – this is important!
- Hit CONVERT to download your new FIT file
Workouts in ZWO format base interval targets on FTP percentage, so they will automatically adjust depending on the FTP set on your Garmin. Workouts in FIT format are based solely on wattage. An accurate FTP needs to be entered into the converter so that your intervals remain correct for your FTP.
3) Plug you Garmin into your computer. Using a compatible USB cable, plug your Garmin into your computer and open the drive. Navigate to the “Workouts” folder. Drag and drop your new FIT files into this folder. Eject the device and you’re done.
Next time you use your Garmin, they’ll be ready for you! Tap on (or navigate to) the Training option on your Garmin device’s home screen to access them. You can either do this at the start of your ride, or part way through if you’d like to warm up first or ride out to a suitable training route before starting. Hit RIDE and give it a good crack!
Train hard and enjoy!