This is 40

Pardon my French, but how the actual flying fire truck did that happen?!?! Forty freakin years old already?!?! Sometimes it quite literally feels like I’ve been living as a 20-year-old for the past 20 years and then BAM! Forty…

There’s no denying I am deep into MAMIL territory now. I’m there. I don’t feel forty. Then again, what is forty even supposed to feel like? At the end of the day isn’t time just a man-made theoretical and social construct? Just another successful trip around the sun? Who knows, but here I am. Forty years old.

I really can’t complain. I’m happy, fit and healthy. I’ve had a pretty damn good life so far and if the next 40+ are even half as good as the last I’ll be counting my blessings. I’m hoping I don’t have to slow down too much just yet.

As for a new bike to celebrate 40 years? Well, that was the 2020 Canyon Aeroad I bought last year. I was going to wait until my 40th to buy it, but heard rumours of supply issues and also the rim-brake model being discontinued (both correct) so I jumped in early and I’m glad I did. It’s one hell of a speed machine and should (almost) make up for my ageing legs.

See also: How much faster is an aero bike?

So that’s basically all I have to say about that. I’m going to take some time to let this whole “40” thing soak in…

25 Comments Add yours

1. bikegoddess says:

Happy Birthday! 🎊🎈🎁 40! Ride on!

2. buckyrides says:

gawd you don’t look 40 mate. good going. congrats

1. Must be all that cycling! 😎

3. Happy Birthday Klem. As far as I’m concerned 60+ is the new 40!

4. Sheree says:

Happy birthday! Don’t worry, you have many more kilometres left in you.

5. The Omil says:

No, you don’t have to slow down yet – or for many more years yet to come. Happy birthday.

1. Thanks. Good to know!

6. Gerry says:

Great looking birthday present and Happy 40th! You’re going to love the 40s – you can still ride with the 20 year olds and you (hopefully) have enough money to buy better bikes than them. Who could ask for more?!

Liked by 1 person

1. Haha yeah I certainly have a little more disposable income than when I was a broke 20 year old! 😂

7. alchemyrider says:

Happy 🎂 day.

You could be my son 🤭

8. idlecyclist says:

Happy Birthday 🎂

Good news is middle age has been changed from 40-60 to 45-65 years old so you’re still just a young man 👌😄

1. Good to know, haha!

Liked by 2 people

9. Scotty says:

Oh shut up…  ;-)    50 is just round the corner. (then try and keep up with a 40 year old)

10. ericritter65 says:

Congrats, Mate! I think 40 was the age I got back into cycling, lol! Just keep the rubber-side towards the tarmac and all will be good!

1. Rubber side down. Noted. 😆

11. Dave Dove says:

Happy Birthday! Take my word for it 40 is nothing. You may slow down a fraction over the coming years but your stamina will remain. Even in the far distant future when you’re an OMIL you will still enjoy cycling. The important thing is to stay 20 in your head!

Liked by 1 person

1. I’ve noticed some of the “older gents” tent to go longer rather than harder (but there’s still plenty of strong 60+ year olds too).

12. haha 40!! you are younger than my kids. I may be 70 but in my head I am still 17 and cycle more now than then. Just keep going lad

13. Anthony says:

Take a lot of time for it to sink in. Happy Birthday.
    I felt like I was in my twenties until I cruised up to my 50th birthday. Sometimes I still get back there…..but not always.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks. This entire week is officially my entire birthday week for me to let it sink in.

Liked by 2 people

14. bgddyjim says:

It sneaks up on you, brother. Give it a decade… you’re like, 😳. It’s all good, though. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. Have fun!

Liked by 2 people